Required Inspections for all Residential and Commercial Construction
You must provide the permit number and the job address to request an inspection.
You are responsible for calling the building department when your project is ready for inspection. Someone (Contractor and/or property owner) must be present on site when the inspection is conducted. If no one can be on-site during the inspection, please reschedule. The inspection will NOT be conducted if no one is present.
Inspections are REQUIRED as follows:
1. Footers: BEFORE concrete is poured and a final.
2. Foundations and crawl area: BEFORE concrete floors are poured or wood floor built and a final.
3. All rough-in framing, plumbing, heating, and wiring: BEFORE it is covered up and a final.
4. Roof: After Tear off and a final. Ice and water Shield is required and must be inspected.
5. When upgrading electrical or new service: An inspection is required before American Electric Power will connect. **Note – The service panel cover must be off for this inspection.
6. When changing window or door sizes: An inspection is required during the job after removing old windows and doors, and a final once the work is complete.
7. Final inspections: Required for all jobs. All new structures and room additions are required to obtain a “Certificate of Occupancy” from the City of Marion Building Department before the structure can be occupied. All work inspected must be per current Building Codes before a “Certificate of Occupancy” will be issued.
To schedule an inspection, please call 765.662.9931 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. TWENTY-FOUR (24) HOUR NOTICE IS REQUIRED WHEN requesting an inspection. However, that does not guarantee next-day inspection. Inspections are scheduled in the order the requests are received. We will do our best to schedule next-day inspections when we receive 24-hour notice. Please plan accordingly.
ATTENTION: Please note there may be a sixty-dollar ($60.00) fee for missed scheduled inspections. If you feel you cannot make it to a scheduled inspection, please notify the Building Department as soon as possible to cancel or reschedule. We will not reschedule missed inspections until the fee is paid.